Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Arch Training Center

Today my good friend and Ward 8 activist, Charles Wilson, and I were invited speakers at the Arch Training Center in Historic Anacostia. Arch is a center funded by federal grants and donations that complements the public schools through adult education and after-school programs for youth involved in the juvenile correctional system. Charles and I spoke for over an hour about our life experiences, and did our best to relay the values of hard work and dedication as the best way to succeed in life.

There was much personal satisfaction from mentoring the students today, but it was disheartening at the same time. Most of these kids have no families, esentially live on the streets and are being electronically monitored by the Department of Corrections. Most have little hope in their lives and many wanted little to do with Charles and me. It is hard to figure out how to reach somebody that does not want to be reached. Part of me feels it is too late for many of them, but there were some that I believe we did actually reach. Discussing my military experiences really seemed to peak interest in some of them.

The experience of spending time at Arch has helped me to consider two things. First, without a strong family life or caring support system, it is very difficult to make a real impact through stop-gap solutions. Second, if many community members spent two hours per month mentoring needy and troubled youth, we could probably make a big difference. It really does "take a village."

No comments: