Monday, April 2, 2007

RFK's Last Opening Day

I know I don't usually write about baseball, but today was opening day, and it was the last one we will ever attend at RFK Stadium. In fact, it's probably the last opening day we will ever have at a stadium that is not named after a corporation. There is so much history at RFK that it was somewhat moving to experience the event first-hand. I will be sure to be there at the last regular season game as well, especially since I don't think the Nats will be headed to the playoffs.

While the event was historic, the experience left much to be desired. The Nats played terrible baseball, giving up nine runs and looking like a team that was completely over matched. I guess that's not a surprise, though, considering the team has one of the lowest payrolls in the league. What surprised me, though, were the inadequate services, which I thought had been addressed.

There were long lines at concession stands, even during innings. The lines moved very slowly and it appeared that there were not enough people staffing the registers. Additionally, there were food shortages. Twice, I went to the counter to order hot dogs, just to find out after waiting in line for 15 minutes that they were not ready. People sitting near me were given hot dogs that were cold. This is just unacceptable considering this is the team's third year at RFK.

But here is the bright side. My tickets cost $5; it was 80 degrees; and we got to see a great team in the Florida Marlins. No matter how they do this year....Go Nats!!!

Soon I will have a column on baseball and its impact on DC's younger residents. Sorry for the fluff this time, but it was Opening Day.

No comments: