Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Historic Day

Despite inclement weather, today's voting rights march was a great success. Beyond the fact that we sent a strong message to the House, Senate and President, I was so excited to see residents from all across the city, all socioeconomic backgrounds and all races, come together to fight for civil rights. I saw friends from Wards 1 through 8. People that normally do not cross paths came together for a monumental occasion. I hope that two things come from today's march:

1) We get our vote
2) We stay together as "One City."

And by the way, my appreciation for Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton runs extremely deep. Her dedication to this city and to this issue has been unwavering since many of us were born. I think we all owe her a debt of gratitude for her hard work. And I'm not just saying that because she's my neighbor. She is a true DC hero.

1 comment:

Terry Walz said...

You're right, she is a hero, and her voice needs to register nationally, which means, for starters, that she must be given full voting rights. I was also impressed at the march by Mayor Fenty who seems to have galvanized the DC government, which is remarkable.